A major deer hunting magazine calls him “a diehard whitetail hunter.” (In fact, it’s the deer who dies hard.) Paul Ryan is a bows-and-arrows hunter, who belongs to his hometown’s archery association, the Janesville Bowmen.
It’s really one of the worst ways to kill animals … you wound them, you injure them, you hurt them … and perhaps finally they die. But often not.
Ryan is also a climate-change denier, with remarks that are deliberately disingenuous, like: “Unilateral economic restraint in the name of fighting global warming has been a tough sell in our communities, where much of the state is buried under snow.” He also used the Agriculture Appropriations Bill to block the government from implementing a climate protection plan, and his budget plan would have killed investments in clean energy and given more tax breaks to big oil.
Mitt Romney didn’t score well with the hunting crowd when he admitted he only shot small animals. Now he has someone on the ticket who really fills that gap.
More details from ThinkProgress.
More on his voting record:
- He voted NO on protecting free-roaming horses and burros. (Jul 2009)
- He voted NO on environmental education grants for outdoor experiences. (Sep 2008)
- And NO on barring website promoting Yucca Mountain nuclear waste dump. (May 2006)
- And YES on deauthorizing “critical habitat” for endangered species. (Sep 2005)
- Also YES on speeding up approval of forest thinning projects. (Nov 2003)
- And YES on making tax deduction permanent for conservation easements. (Mar 2009)
(Ed. note: Please note that we do not get involved in partisan politics. We simply call it as we see it in relation to issues concerning the animals and nature.)